4.22.2019

Grape Jelly God: The Nut That Wants to Be Written

So, as we march ahead into the great 'unblock' my mind wrestles on a story. A dr. once told me that these moments that are stuck are really just the culumination of an epic folded into a single moment or 'nut'. It tells the whole story in a flicker. These nuts are what I think I might have the gift of finding BTW. These are the nuts that want to be written. When I was just 14 or 15 I had been writing a great deal already on my own as you know and finally there was an assignment! A chance to put it 'out there'. And not just with any teacher, but an honest cooky one that had a dark northeastern haircut, heavy glasses, and black toothpick leggings that ended above berkenstocks. She had brutal demands on testing our discipline and writing for 2 minutes constant every day I remember. (Hmmm...Not too different from what I am doing now in 'group' I suppose....) So, I elected to write a short piece about a night when my 2nd cousin and I when were just girls. Inside I FREAKED when I got my paper back with an A-. Truely, I was not an 'A' student, and so my eyes could hardly sustain it's perfectly pointy heaven reaching redness. (Remembering this even now, I would like to thank the academy....) I couldn't be more surprised- 'such an interesting story' she mentioned at the top. I felt like I finally had a soul! You can't imagine how desperate I was to grow a real soul when I was 14 at Bishop McGuinness; where most upper classmen wore ColeHans and drove Mercedes. I would raise above it, yes ma'am. Me and my big-eyed soul. It didn't even matter that my lanky puppy eyed art room loitering boyfriend had just broken up with me. Even better for it. I could write for MILES. Until the segment of Greek Tragedies began. Now, I am not being a dramatic by recalling that the topic was specifically and serendipitously- GREEK TRADGETIES. Mother will try to change the story here to say that it was an 'Earth Day Celebration', but this is a very damaging revisionist claim that I will debunk pre-emptively. Her mis-remembering it as an earth day celebration finally reveals to me her astonishing rationale for the actions she was to take. Looking back, I think I understand her sensitivity. I had quite suddenly it seemed, joined Greenpeace had and expressed my strong desire to stop eating animals. But my grandparents had been life long hog and sheep farmers and so my parents were not only outraged, but looking for the liberal enemy of influence in retrospect. Finally! I have achieved a level in psychotherapy where I can actually decode their weirdness!